The GSM (General skilled migration) program in Australia takes in highly skilled, experienced, English speaking applicants in the prime of their life from a list of professions and trades, that qualify under a points test, either independently or with family and/or state sponsorship.
To gain sufficient points to pass the points test, an applicant is assessed against the following criteria:
- Level of English/language ability.
- Having a nominated occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
- Number of years of work experience.
- Australian qualifications.
- Australian work experience.
- Proficiency in an Australian community language.
- Points awarded to their spouse for occupation, age, English language ability and work experience.
- Points awarded for either family or state sponsorship.
A new Skilled Migration Program was introduced as 1 July 2017, please refer to link www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/work