About Subclass 309 Partner Provisional Visa

About Partner (Provisional) Visa

This visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily.

With this visa, you can:

  • stay in Australia until we decide your permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) or the application is withdrawn
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia (you will not receive government support)
  • travel to and from Australia as many times as you want
  • also attend up to 510 hours of free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
  • enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare

How long can you stay?

  • Stay on the visa until we decide your permanent visa (subclass 100) application or you withdraw the application.
  • For most applicants, this stay is from 15 to 24 months.

However, in some circumstances, including where you have been in a long term relationship before you apply, you might not stay on the 309 visa at all. Australian Government (Department of Home Affairs) might grant you the permanent visa immediately after we grant the temporary 309 visa.

Include family members

You can include your members of the family unit in your application. You can:

  • include them when you lodge your visa application
  • add a dependent child after you lodge your application but before we decide on your temporary visa.

Family members who apply with you must:

  • meet Australian Government’s health requirement
  • meet Australian Government’s character requirement
  • be outside Australia
  • You can also add them after we grant the temporary visa.

Apply from

Usually, you must be outside Australia when you apply for this visa. Besides, you must be outside Australia when Australian Government (Department of Home Affairs) decide your temporary visa application.

Processing times

Your application might take longer to process if:

  • you do not fill it in correctly
  • you don’t include all required documents or we need more information from you
  • it takes time to verify your information

Australian Government (Department of Home Affairs) can’t process your application if you do not pay the correct visa application charge.  They will notify you if this is the case.

Your obligations

You and your family members must meet all visa conditions and obey Australian laws.
See what conditions might be attached to this visa.
Note: You must enter Australia before the date specified in your grant letter. The first entry date is generally set at 12 months from the date of visa grant.


You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want.
Note: You must make your first entry to Australia as the holder of this visa before the date specified in your visa grant letter. The first entry date is generally set at 12 months from the date of visa grant.

Visa label

Australian Government (Department of Home Affairs) will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport


Meet relationship requirements
In most cases, you must be the spouse or de facto partner of an:

Australian citizen

  • Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • Your relationship can be with someone of the same or different sex.
  • You might still be eligible for the visa if your relationship breaks down or your sponsor dies while Australian Government (Department of Home Affairs) is considering your application.

Married applicants

To be a married applicant:

  • you and your spouse must both be committed to a shared life together to the exclusion of all others
  • your relationship with your spouse must be genuine and continuing
  • you must live with your spouse or do not live apart on a permanent basis
  • your marriage must be valid under Australian law
  • To find out if your marriage is valid under Australian law, contact the relevant state or territory agency for births, deaths and marriages.

De facto partners

To be a de facto partner, you must be in a de facto relationship.

you and your partner are in a de facto relationship if all these apply:

  • that you are not married to each other
  • you are committed to a shared life to the exclusion of all others
  • your relationship is genuine and continuing
  • you live together or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis
  • you are not related by family

Moreover, your de facto relationship must have existed for at least 12 months immediately before you apply for the visa. Additionally, time spent dating or in an online relationship might not count as being in a de facto relationship.

The 12-month requirement will not apply if you can show us compelling and compassionate circumstances exist to grant the subclass 820 visa.

The 12-month requirement also will not apply if:

  • your partner holds or held a permanent humanitarian visa
  • your de facto relationship existed before we granted their visa
  • you de facto partner told us about the relationship before we granted their visa

It also will not apply if you:

  • are in a de facto relationship with a partner who is an applicant for a permanent humanitarian visa, or
  • you have registered your relationship with an Australian authority such as a registry of births, deaths and marriages
  • You might still be granted the temporary visa if your relationship has broken down or if your sponsor died.
  • Have a sponsor – You must have a sponsor when you lodge your application and when you are on this visa.

Australian Government (Department of Home Affairs) must approve your sponsor. There are limitations on approval.

You can’t change your sponsor. The person who sponsors you when you apply for the visa must be same person who sponsors you for 2 years after we grant your temporary 309 Partner visa.

Be the right age

  1. Married applicants must usually, be 18 or older when they apply. This is because usually, you must be 18 or older to be married under Australian law.
  2. Applicants in de facto relationships must be 18 or older when they apply.
  3. Meet Australian Government (Department of Home Affairs) health requirement
  4. You, and any member of the family unit or dependent child who applies for the visa with you, must meet our health requirement.
  5. Family members who don’t accompany you to Australia might also need to meet our health requirement.

Meet our character requirement

You and any family members who apply for the visa with you must meet our character requirement.

Pay your debts to the Australian Government

If you or any family members (including those who don’t apply for the visa with you) owe the Australian government money, you or they must have paid it back or arranged to pay it back.

Best interests of the child

We might not grant this visa if it is not in the best interests of an applicant under 18. Not had a visa cancelled or an application refused. You might not be eligible for this visa if you have had a visa cancelled or refused while you were in Australia. Check if visa cancellation affects your eligibility.

You might not be eligible for this visa if you have had a visa cancelled or refused while you were in Australia. Check if visa cancellation affects your eligibility.

Step 1

Before you apply
You might want to organise health examinations or get help with your application.

Get help with your application
We can help you fill out forms or give you general help with your application, provide immigration assistance and act for you.

Step 2

Gather your documents
Provide accurate, authentic documents. See what happens if you provide false or misleading documents or information.

Identity documents

Provide a birth certificate showing the names of both parents.

If you can’t provide this, provide one of the following:

  • identification pages of a family book showing the names of both parents
  • identification pages of an identification document issued by the government
  • provide identification pages of a court-issued document that proves your identity
  • identification pages of a family census register

Also provide:

  • the pages of your current passport showing your photo, personal details and passport issue and expiry dates
  • a national identity card, if you have one

proof of change of name, if applicable, such as:

  • a marriage or divorce certificate
  • change of name documents from an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, or the relevant overseas authority
  • documents that show other names you have been known by

Your relationship with your partner

If you are married, provide your marriage certificate or other evidence that your marriage is valid in Australia. If you are a de facto partner, provide proof of your de facto relationship.

This proof should show that:

  • you have a mutual commitment with your spouse of de facto partner to the exclusion of all others
    your relationship is genuine and continuing
  • you either live together or don’t live permanently apart
  • you are not related by family

Tell us in writing about:

  • how, when and where you first met
  • how the relationship developed
  • when you moved in together, got engaged or married
  • what you do together
  • time you spent apart
  • significant events in the relationship
  • your plans for the future


Show us how you and your partner share financial matters. You could give us:

  • joint mortgage or lease documents
  • joint loan documents for major assets like homes, cars or major appliances
  • bank joint account statements
  • household bills in both names

Your household

Show us how you and your partner share domestic matters. You could give us:

  • a statement about how you share housework
  • household bills in both names
  • mail or emails addressed to you both
  • documents that show joint responsibility for children
  • documents that prove your living arrangements

Social matters

Show us that others know about your relationship. You could give us:

  • joint invitations or evidence you go out together
  • proof you have friends in common
  • provide proof you have told government, public or commercial bodies about your relationship
  • proof you do joint sporting, cultural or social activities together
  • proof you travel together
  • statutory declarations from your partner’s parents, family members, relatives and friends about how they see your relationship.

You can use Form 888 Statutory declaration by a supporting witness in relation to a Partner or Prospective Marriage visa application (162KB PDF)


Show us how you are committed to a long-term relationship with each other. You could give us:

  • proof you have knowledge of each other’s background, family situation or other personal details.
  • You could tell us this at an interview
  • proof you have combined your personal matters
  • the terms of your wills
  • proof you stay in touch when apart

Additional proof of a de facto relationship

  • In addition to documents proving your relationship, show us you have been in your de facto relationship for at least 12 months before you applied for this visa.
  • If you haven’t been in the relationship for 12 months, tell us in writing why the 12-month requirement does not apply.

For example:

  • provide evidence you have registered your relationship with an Australian births, deaths and marriages agency, or explain any compelling and compassionate circumstances exist to grant the visa

Other relationships

If you have previously been married, widowed, divorced or permanently separated, provide divorce documents, death certificates, separation documents or statutory declarations.

Character documents

Provide an Australian police certificate if you have spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia in the last 10 years since you turned 16.

We only accept complete disclosure National Police Certificates issued by the Australian Federal Police. We do not accept standard disclosure certificates or national police certificates issued by Australian state or territory police.

Also provide:
  • an overseas police certificate from every country, including your home country, where you spent a total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years since you turned 16
  • military service records or discharge papers if you served in the armed forces of any country
  • Complete and provide Form 80 Personal particulars for assessment including character assessment (554KB PDF)

Tell us you are getting help to nominate someone to:

  • receive your correspondence, use Form 956a Appointment or withdrawal of an authorised recipient (298KB PDF)
  • provide immigration advice, use Form 956 Advice by a migration agent/exempt person of providing immigration assistance (297KB PDF)
  • also act for you but not provide immigration assistance, let us know in writing what they can do on your behalf (such as submit or withdraw an application for you). Upload your written notification in ImmiAccount

Dependants under 18 documents

For every dependant under 18 years old who is applying with you provide:

  • identity documents
  • proof of your relationship with your dependant, like a birth or marriage certificate
  • character documents, if the dependant is 16 or 17 years of age
  • adoption papers or parental court orders, if applicable
  • proof of enrolment at school, college or university, if applicable
  • proof of sole custody, if applicable

Parental responsibility documents

You must get consent for any applicant under 18 years of age to migrate to Australia from anyone who:

  • has a legal right to decide where the child lives and is not coming to Australia with the child

They must complete either:

Form 1229 Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (168KB PDF)
a statutory declaration giving their consent for the child to visit Australia on this visa

Alternatively, you can show us:

  • an Australian court order that allows your child to migrate to Australia, or
    that the laws of your home country allow them to migrate


  • an identity document that shows the signature and photo of the person who completed the form or declaration, such as a passport or driver’s licence
  • adoption papers or other court documents if applicable

Dependants over 18 documents

For every dependant 18 years old or older who is applying with you provide:

  • identity documents
  • documents about their other relationships, if applicable
  • character documents, if applicable
  • adoption papers or parental court orders, if applicable

Proof of dependency

You need to prove that this person is dependent on you. Provide:

  • a completed Form 47a – Details of a child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over (241KB PDF)
  • proof of your relationship with the dependant such as a birth certificate or adoption papers

You must also prove this person has been financially dependent on you for at least 12 months before you apply. You could provide:

  • proof they live with you
  • their tax records
  • proof they are currently studying


Have all non-English documents translated into English.

Most importantly, translators in Australia must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.

Translators outside Australia do not have to be accredited. But on each translation, they must include their:

  • full name
  • address and telephone number
  • qualifications and experience in the language they are translating
  • These details must be in English.

Note: You do not need to have any documents certified.

Scan or photograph

  • Scan or photograph all documents (English and non-English) in colour.
  • The scans and photos must be legible.
  • If a document is more than 1 page, save it all as 1 file.


Keep a copy of your completed application.

Step 3

Apply for the visa

  • You must apply: online / outside Australia
  • Provide accurate information

Apply online

  • Complete your application in ImmiAccount. If you do not have an ImmiAccount login, you will be asked to create a new account.
  • Pay the visa application charge. We won’t process your application until you have paid the charge.
  • Also, submit your application and note the transaction reference number (TRN). Your sponsor will need the TRN to apply for sponsorship.
  • Attach supporting documents to your completed application.

Step 4

After you apply

Status updates

If it is within standard processing times do not call. We can’t provide any further updates on your application’s progress. You can see if we have asked for more information in your ImmiAccount

What will happen after you apply

We will confirm your application has been lodged.


  • Do not arrange to travel to Australia until we let you know, in writing, that we have granted you the subclass 309 visa.
  • You must be outside Australia when we decide on your application.


We might ask for biometrics. We will let you know if you need to provide them.

Health exams

You need to have health exams. We suggest you:

  • check how long it is taking us to process applications for this visa at this time
    organise your exams 1 to 2 months before that time
  • Or, you can or wait for us to contact you about the exams.

Attach more information

If you did not attach all documents when you applied, attach them in ImmiAccount as soon as you can.

We might also ask you to provide more information.

If we learn anything about you that could affect your application, we will usually contact you.

Add family members

You can add a dependent child to your application before we decide on your visa.

Complete and attach Form 1436 – Adding an additional applicant after lodgement (392KB PDF) and attach it to your ImmiAccount.

Complete Form 1023 Notification of incorrect answers (168KB PDF) and attach it to your ImmiAccount.

Tell us if things change

Tell us if things change after you lodge your application but before we’ve made a decision.

Things you need to let us know about include:

  • changes to your phone number, address or passport
  • changes to your marital or de facto status
  • the birth of a child
  • any other changes relevant to your application
  • a request to withdraw your application

See what to do if your situation changes.

If your relationship ends: Contact us as soon as possible using the Partner (permanent) processing centres enquiry form.

Step 5

Visa outcome

You must be outside Australia when we decide on your temporary visa application.

They will let you know our decision in writing.

If they grant your visa, we will tell you:

  • your visa grant number
  • the date your visa starts
  • your visa conditions, if applicable

If they refuse your visa, they will tell you:

  • why they refused the visa
  • whether you have a right to a review of the decision

Other Services

Mangalath Immigration is headed by a Registered Migration Agent (RMA) who will deal with your enquiries and give you advice and guidance on all issues to do with immigrating to Australia.

Family Visa/Migration

Family-stream permanent residence visas for spouse, child, parent, or dependent relative of an Australian citizen, permanent resident of Australia, or eligible New Zealand citizen. Children who have been adopted or are in the process of being adopted outside of Australia. 

This visa lets skilled workers, who are nominated by their employer, live and work in Australia permanently. You must have the necessary skills and must be nominated by an Australian employer. There are concessions for employers in regional areas.

Student Visas Australia

Depending on your main course of study we will find you the right visa type. There are many visa options (also for permanent residence) that become available to applicants who have successfully completed full-time study in Australia.

Reviews from clients

priya krishnanpriya krishnan
13:23 03 Aug 23
SC491Occupation: Systems AdministratorMR Murali Mangalath guided us in the right path and his service is extraordinary. One of the most trusted agent and his agency Mangalath Immigration service is great and all their services are done in a timely manner.Thanks to Mr. Murali and Mangalath Immigration for their tremendous effort in getting my family granted with SC491 in 5 months that is super-fast and incredible.
Sreekumar RamakrishnanSreekumar Ramakrishnan
09:56 01 Aug 23
I was referred to Mr. Murali by one of my friends and his service was phenomenal. I had to apply for a spouse visa and I took Murali's service in 2019. Though there was a delay of over 3 years from my end to share the documents due to other commitments I had, he did honor the agreement and helped us get the visa in under 3 months once the documents were shared. I highly recommend Mr. Murali for any immigration services if you are looking for someone who is straightforward and keep his words.
riyas pkriyas pk
16:29 15 Jul 23
Thank you Mr. Murali Mangalath for helping us through this process. We are happy to say that we have successfully gained our residence status here in Australia . It was very easy to work with your office in cochin and Melbourne as well. Answering all of our questions with simplified answers to help us understand what exactly we needed to do in our documents. To my understanding, the application was processed bit longer than I expected due to the pandemic situation but you’ve put extra effort to get rid of all worries and concerns we had. Thank you for being patient with us. The personalised services made us feel special and cared about. All of the paperwork was in perfect order, complete and explanation for each. Thank you again for helping us. Me and my family start a new life in Australia together. We would certainly recommend Mangalath immigration’s services to anyone for all visa and migration matters . Thank you again!
Rohith SonuRohith Sonu
05:12 15 Jul 23
From the very beginning, Mr Murali & Mangalath Australia Immigration exhibited an unparalleled level of knowledge and professionalism. Their guidance was always accurate and on point, ensuring that I received the right advice at the right time. It is because of your expertise and timely suggestions that I was able to expedite the entire visa application process. Your no-nonsense approach and impeccable judgment when it comes to Australian immigration matters truly set you apart.Your team at Mangalath Immigration India, especially Mr Gopinath, was equally remarkable, displaying utmost professionalism at every step.I cannot emphasize enough how instrumental your guidance has been in realizing my dream of obtaining the Australian Permanent Residency. Thanks to your exceptional service!I would highly recommend your service to anyone seeking assistance with Australian immigration matters. It is not often that one comes across an individual with such a deep understanding of the process. Your reputation as a top-tier immigration consultant is well-deserved and your services are second to none.
Sajith KumarSajith Kumar
04:00 11 Jul 23
Visa Granted : SC189I would like to thank Mr. Murali and Mangalath Immigration team for their excellent professionalism and service that helped me and my family to achieve SC189 PR. From the very first step onwards to the final step, Murali has helped us with proper guidance and advice, especially in preparing all the necessary documents. He was also proactive in responding to my queries via email & whatsapp.During to covid time, when entire country was locked down , I was guided in the right direction and with the right decisions. The constant support from Mr. Murali and his experience in dealing with this in a meticulous manner really impressed me .I would like to thank Mr. Gopinathan from the Mangalath Cochin office, who has helped us during the entire process, especially during the EOI raising and the follow ups. I personally know many people who achieved their goal of becoming Australian PR with the help of Mr. Murali and his team. And, I strongly recommend Mr. Murali and Mangalath immigration as your migration agent to achieve the dream of Australia PR.Thank you Murali & Mangalath Immigration Team,Sajithkumar & Family
Srinivasan BSrinivasan B
22:50 09 Jul 23
I am Srinivasan. I received SA 491 grant recently. I was referred to Mr. Murali by my friend and former colleague Mr. Karthik.I have lived in USA for 10+ years and was very skeptical about migrating to Australia initially considering my age. Immigrating to Australia is a complex process.My first communication with Mr. Murali got me convinced that I have found the right contact to address my immigration concerns. He guided me on the correct visa that i need to apply for. He also provided me a contact who would help me with the correct guidance to crack PTE to get maximum points from it.I also would like to express my gratitude to Mr. Murali for being very patient in answering my questions (sometimes silly and basic) and always reassured me that everything will be fine throughout the whole journey. During the course of the journey i was getting into an uncertain mode whether i would get the grant or not, and Mr. Murali again assured me that the grants will flow out soon. Their charges for the services were also nominal.Mr. Murali was very practical in his answers with me which always kept me afloat through the entire process when my thoughts about the grant happening were fading away and i was almost ready to forget about it. In short, Mr. Murali was "the" man for me during crisis.I will definitely recommend Mr. Murali and Mangalath Immigration Services India and Mangalath Immigration Australia for a transparent, smooth and assured process for anyone desiring to get an Australian visa.Again Thank you Mr. Murali for the services, guidance and patience for keeping my mind at ease
13:40 26 Feb 23
I really suggest people to choose Mangalath Immigration for any visa services . I had a very good experience with them,with their service and work they did for us.I came to Australia through Mangalath Immigration in 2015, they really did great service, My brother recently got his subclass 189 visa through them. They did every single step carefully and updating us immediately. When case officer contacted them for additional documents, They have communicated with us and submitted documents with in hours. My brother skill assessment was refused initially as he did from different agents who did not do the proper work, then we contacted Mangalath Immigration they have assessed his application and launched properly, now we got visa on hand.

Would you like more information on jobs and visas in Australia?

Mangalath Immigration

Scroll to Top